Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Something's Gotta Give

I've been thinking a lot lately about Spring- since we'll be putting together a spring line for introduction in June and July. As each season or project commences every designer faces the same question- what to do next? Much as the writer faces off with the blank page we designers square off against a blank drawing board, last season's successes and failures. This year I've been revisiting images from the recent past and asking myself what's pretty now- am I completely out of the loop because I don't like much of the recent Mid-Century revival? As I peruse my archives and old magazines I find that I'm always drawn back to the simple basics; painted woodwork, wing back chairs, linen upholstery, wicker and basketry. A beautiful and timeless example of how some of these elements coalesce into a comfortable haven are the interiors from the film "Something's Gotta Give".




These absolutely timeless rooms from the set of Somethings Gotta Give are attributed to Interior Designer James Radin (check out his portfolio at http://www.jamesradin.com/ ) the homey style is reminiscent of another great designer Michael Smith (recently commissioned by Michele Obama to redecorate the first family's private residence at The White House ) you can see his work and products at http://www.michaelsmithinc.com/


a recent Michael Smith interior


love the asian influence in the lanterns

Another timeless designer whose work has had a big influence on me is Rose Tarlow. I recently found this old photograph of her California home. I'm still as charmed by it today as the first time I saw it many years ago. The bookcases are perfectly proportioned to house interesting collections and the stray Boston ivy creeping into the room is a masterful, eccentric, and romantic touch.




So what do these wonderful designers have to do with my thoughts for Abode's spring collection for 2011? They remind me of the core values that I always go back to and reassure me that timeless design is best; warm neutral palettes, natural fibers and textures, simple forms that are at once antique and modern, and above all comfort and charm that speaks of a home well tended. I'm getting inspired.

No comments:

Post a Comment